About United Kingdom

UK usually refers to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, an island country in northwestern Europe. It can also refer to one of its predecessor states, the (united) Kingdom of Great Britain (1707–1801), or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1801–1927).

Education System in the UK

Before applying to UK universities you may have completed your secondary studies from your country but unfortunately they will not be initially accepted in UK. For this you will have to undergo a one year International foundation course to bring your qualifications up to the required mark acceptable for the course you want to take up.


Undergraduate Degrees and their Duration

All undergraduate degree courses in UK last for 3-4 years. This however does not include the Degrees in Medicine, Veterinary Sciences, Veterinary Medicine and Dentistry which are of 5 years duration.

 Combined and Joint Honors Degrees

An interesting aspect of UK universities is that several of them offer two or more subjects for specialization in a Combined and Joint Honors Degree. A Combined Degree is one wherein different subjects are studied and do not necessarily bear equal importance, whereas a Joint Degree is one wherein two subjects are studied and they bear equal importance. These two subjects may be closely related or distant yet connected in some way.

Pre-Masters Program

Many UK universities provide a one year Pre-Masters program, during which you would study a specialist subject, academic English and study skills that would prepare you for eventually taking up a Masters program.

 Postgraduate Degrees

The major Postgraduate Degrees, namely, Masters in Arts, Masters in Science and LLM. last for an year whereas Research Degrees, namely, MPhil. and PhD. stretch from one to three years. Types of Postgraduate Degrees: Postgraduate Degrees in UK encompass three kinds:
Specialist: As the name suggest these are advanced degrees wherein you will be able to further enhance your chosen discipline of the Bachelors Degree. To be eligible for study under this degree you are required to have completed your Bachelors in the same discipline.
Conversion: A conversion degree course caters to those of you who intend to change your choice of subject or stream to pursue postgraduate studies.
Research: Again as the name suggests, a research course is the best for you if you intend to take up research in a certain area. Here, you would be able to take up research under the guidance of a course mentor and rather than sitting in a classroom this course entails self-study.
Student Life in the UK, Scholarships, Cost of living, Accommodation, Work permission
Multi-cultural environment Students can enjoy a multi-cultural environment and celebrate cultural diversity. One gets a very cosmopolitan feel, with all the comforts. Discrimination issues need to be dealt with lots of patience and understanding.

You should contact your local British Council office about any scholarships that are available to students from your country wishing to study in the UK. The scholarships administered by The British Council are allocated more than one academic year in advance of the start of the course, so you should start enquiring at least eighteen months in advance.

This will vary according to where in the UK you decide to study. London and other big cities will be more expensive than other areas. Many institutions have a pre-arrival guide for international students, which contains information on cost of living, travel, accommodation and so on. This is usually sent out to new international students, and is often also available on the institutions website.

Most universities and colleges provide accommodation on or near to their campus. University apartments, residential colleges and halls of residence are generally available. International students often enjoy staying at the halls of residence as they have opportunity to mix with many other students on a full-time basis. This is also one of the cheapest options for accommodation. Meals and some cleaning services are usually provided.

Most students on courses of more than 6 months will be given a passport sticker that allows them to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and full-time during the vacations. However, for immigration, you must be able to show that you can afford to study and live in the UK without needing to work. You must be able to show other sources of funding apart from your part-time work.